This ride has been popular since it first opened in 1871. Since then the carousel has been replaced several times.

According to the Park’s website, the Department of Parks and Recreation searched for a replacement in 1950 and found one abandoned in an old trolley terminal in Brooklyn’s Coney Island.

“Originally crafted in 1908 by Solomon Stein and Harry Goldstein, the current Carousel is one of the nation’s largest merry-go-rounds, featuring 57 hand-carved horses and two decorative chariots. While still in working condition, it is over 100 years old and has undergone many rounds of repair and maintenance.”